Friday, May 23, 2008

Another AF Moms and Dads Post

The word breathe just took on a whole new meaning! We've all said it. We've said it to each other, I've said it to myself. We really mean it when we say it. Yesterday it became my mantra. I had the most wonderful weekend visiting with my son, Sean, at Robins Air Force Base. I met my future daughter in law, went to the Georgia Aquarium, visited with my favorite Uncle and Aunt in Savana, Ga. Read a book, spent 5 days with my son (in the car, driving almost 700 miles) without a fight. We talked, laughed and caught up. We talked about his deployment to Iraq (Sorry, Judy it's on again) in April and what he wants in his care-packages to his desire to have children in the future so that he can torment them and any thing else you can possibly think of. I'll post pictures and detail the trip in a day or so, but back to Breathe....I drove Sean to his post shortly before I left, "to guard the flight line". It just so happened to be Air Force 2. We kissed and hugged goodbye (no 5 second rule) and off I went. I didn't know that you could drive and NOT breathe at the same time. My chest literally, physically hurt. And I just kept repeating to myself, BREATHE.....and I couldn't!!! The closest I ever came to that sensation before was the death of my parents. But this is my son, my child, and I couldn't catch my breath. I kept repeating Breathe, Breathe and I must have because I did make it to the airport and I am writing this now, but holy shit (sorry) I never felt like that before. And just as I composed myself the song Father and Son by Cat Steven played on my ipod. And then I had to start all over again. I called Sean twice on the way to Atlanta just to hear his voice and to tell him again how much I love him and how proud I am of him. Lucky for me, my very Best friend, Kathy picked me up at the airport and gave me that hug I so desparately needed. As I drove to the airport from RAFB to Atlanta, I thought to myself I should have brought along a phone number for one of you guys. No one that I could have called at that moment would have gotten it like y'all. I'm going to Breathe now... Peace & Hugs PAFM, Susan #13 NYC

1 comment:

Debra A. Estep said...

Here's a link to our
~*~Breathe~*~ picture. :)

xo xo
Deb
Proud AF Mom
Proud AF MIL


http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7008/bre8di.jpg