Sunday, June 15, 2008

And Sometimes You Just Cry

Sean called the day before yesterday, I hadn't heard from him in a few days so it was really great to talk to him. He is really happy and doing well. He said that the Airmen are received well by the locals. As convoys go by the kids give them the "thumbs up" sign. It's nice to know that their presence is appreciated by the local population. It's over 100 degrees there but "only feels like 90". Not sure I get the difference. He likes and trusts the men on his team, said the food is great (was disappointed that there was no apple sauce with the potato pancakes) and all in all is really excited and happy to be there. He can't talk about the missions he goes on as they are classified but feels he is doing important work so I'll just have to trust him. As for me, I'm adjusting. I don't watch the news or read the papers anymore. I need to insulate myself as much as possible or I'll make myself and all of you nuts. In spite of my best efforts to remain in my bubble sometimes something sticks a pin in it and pop..... The other day I turned on the TV and immediately heard "suicide bomb in Kirkuk, 1 soldier killed 15 injured" I don't need to or want to know this!!!!!! I immediately texted Sean "are you OK?" Thank God he got back to me immediately "yeah why" He didn't even know about it. The other thing that hit me, today in fact, was this: I can't put the feeling into words the fear? dread? horror? that uniformed men would be waiting for me when I got home. I'm sure only other military parents will totally get that one. It isn't something you think about, all of the sudden it was just there. I'm sure it will come and go but I must tell you it really sucks. I was relieved when I realized that none of the people sitting out were wearing hats. I've started, proudly, to wear a blue star pin, which provokes a lot of questions. It is worn by immediate family members of service men and woman on active duty during time of war or conflict. Needless to say, the support and appreciation for the Sean and his fellow service men and woman is overwhelming. People I know and strangers alike asking me to thank him for his service and telling me that they are praying for him. Well, sometimes you just cry....

6 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Glad to hear you talked to Sean. I will continue to pray for his safety and for your sanity. :)

I'm glad that your pin provokes questions - anything to remind others of what our sons and daughters are doing for this country is a GREAT thing.

Hallie

Michelle said...

Susan,

I am glad that you finally posted to us about your blog. I will add it to my list of blogs I check out. I will also pray for Sean's safety. And of course your well being.

Michelle

Lea said...

Sending big virtual hugs across the miles, my dear. You and Sean are in my thoughts often.

Lea

Debbie said...

Thinking of you here too, hon! I'll be praying for Sean and for his MOM!!!

Very happy he got back with you so quick. That always makes it better, but don't you wanna just grab him and shake him for the "Yeah, why?" LOL. Kids....

lizrand said...

I love you Sue.

Try not to worry so much-he'll be just fine.

Mac left last week for his 3rd and final tour. He is not so thrilled with his return however he is ready to get it over with.

My prayers are with you and Sean every day.

Liz

Lea said...

In case you were bored...

TAG! You're IT!
See my blog post today for details. Can't wait to see your answers.